Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A short update

Last week was a lot of fun, but man I missed my kids. The writing conference was great. I learned a ton of great information. I got really hyped about writing, but I was exhausted at the end of every day. I'm just not used to sitting and listening for eight plus hours a day. I also had fun seeing my brothers and sisters. The family photo was a lot of fun! (wink! wink!) Since Sarah's moving out of state next month, my mom didn't know when the brothers and sisters would all be together again. Sad but very true fact that it will likely be at least five years. It was good to stay at Sarah's house and baby Ethan is adorable. Sarah also knows her some mean baby talk. I've never seen anyone coo as much as she does. Ethan's a very lucky baby!

The kids had fun with Nana and stayed up way too late every single night. Rob had a hectic week, so it was good that my mom was there to help out at home. I couldn't believe how much older they each looked when I saw them again. Craziness.

Our good friends the Holmes are coming this week, and we're super excited to see them for a few days. Then we will get into the summer groove, which includes daily reading and math homework. Plus we are instituting a chores system. Charts and earning stuff and lots of other goodies. We are also restricting T.V. time and I must say so far so good. Kids can and will play without the distraction of the television.

So I thought I'd update my book list, since I had that lovely long plane ride to read on. Plus some other extra time I've managed to squeeze in. (On a side note I requested 36 books from the library this week for me to read--I found new authors at the conference that are lots of fun.)

39. Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter (as always lots of fun!)

40. Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols this is her first (as far as I can tell) outside of the romantic comedy series by Simon Pulse) and it is great. I've liked everything I've read by her, and this is pushing her up close to Sarah Dessen for a great emotional read. I'm glad I bought it on a whim.

41. It's a Mall World After All by Janette Rallison (took a short class on writing from her at the conference, I'm glad I did because I found a new great writer)

42. All's Fair in Love, War and High School by Janette Rallison (again totally fun)

43. This Is What I Did by Ann Dee Ellis very moving and sad

Well I still think I can hit my goal of 100 NEW books, cause I'm not counting the fact that I've already reread two of those books or any of the others that I reread.

Now Rob has been on me since my ahem literary taste has in his opinion been a little off. I say that I should read what I'm writing. He says I should read more literary books. I replied by asking which out of the two of us have read more literary books? He said point made.

But so my question is do you have any suggestions of more literary books especially targeted for YA or do you have any books that the language just pulls you in and creates wonderful imagery?

I'm not against reading the classics or gasp literary works--I've enjoyed most of what I've read. (Admittedly I didn't go for Wuthering Heights or The Scarlet Letter, even though I've tried them more than once) There now you have my true confession. Advise me please!

No comments: