Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter!

So Rob should be uploading video of the crazy fun that we had this week. One more day of Spring Break tomorrow, and then everything goes back to a normal schedule.

After Grandma's house the kids came home and had a pretty good week. We made cookies (and a huge mess), and then we dyed Easter eggs the next day. The kids loved that, even though they had already done it at Grandma's house. on Friday Rob had the day off and so we drove out to the beach for the day. I must say that I love where we live, where for a tank of gas, we can go spend a fun afternoon at the beach. We went to the aquarium, and then over to the beach. Rob wanted to hit Ft. Fisher, the actual fort, but it was closed. Rob wanted to see it because it is supposed to be haunted, but the kids were glad that it was closed. They were anti ghost on Friday--though it may be that they wanted to spend more time at the beach. They found a ton of HUGE seashells, and they were all whole. The great thing is that even though it was crowded it wasn't too bad.

There is something about staring out at the ocean that just brings me peace. I get the same feeling sitting the mountains or a forest or at a temple, but it is a wonderful thing. The water was freezing, and I can't believe that the kids spent as much time playing in it as they did. On the way home Rob and I had the whole buying a beach house (in our dreams) discussion. We do this nearly every time we go to the beach. I think it'd be nice to do, but only if we had enough money. We aren't at that point right now.

Then Saturday morning the Easter bunny came. Lots of fun, the kids got more Zhu Zhu pets, and the house thing and candy. Though we did significantly cut back on candy, and it is nearly gone right now. And I'm glad because it means no crazy melt downs or other silliness. Then we set in and watched Conference--which was really good in case you missed it. My major takeaway was the importance of spending quality time with your kids teaching about the gospel and building good relationships. It is nice to hear so much about focusing on your kids. I think it is a change from earlier generations (I could be wrong of course), but now I know so many families that do the same things that Rob and I do, which is spend good quality time doing things as a family, taking time to be together as a family. It is important to step away from the rush, and all of the activities that scatter you everywhere and spend time just being together, being friends and building relationships.

Anyway, sorry to get all philosophical on you all. I hope that you have a good week, and that you enjoy life. It's worth doing.

1 comment:

Gail said...

I loved conference too. Loved the video and so glad you guys got to go and have so much fun.Wish we could have been there too.We enjoyed having the little ones and share in their enthusiasm of life!Great Easter altogether!