Sunday, March 16, 2014

I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled.

So that is the line that has been floating around in my head all week. Not that I'm really old. But birthdays have a way of making you step back and take stock of your life. It's funny how a poem that you read and studied and picked apart years ago will pop up at the strangest times. Words really have power. Since the poem was in my head, I looked it up online and read it again. And with the weight of my oh so many years behind me, compared to my college freshman and sophomore years when I really studied the poem, I've found a much deeper meaning in the poem than I did in the past. It still speaks to me, and I love the imagery Eliot evokes throughout the poem. Images still pop out at me years after I read it. If you have never read the poem, it's worth it.

This week the kids adjusted surprisingly well to the time change. They are growing up so much and getting more and more independent. Beth is waking herself up for school each day, and it's so much nicer in the morning now. Jacob loves getting up early in the morning and having a bit of time to chill out watching television before he goes to school. I think he looks forward to the quiet. He is usually the most agreeable about going to bed when I ask him to.

Not much happened this week. Rob and I were fighting colds most of the week, and Rob missed two days of work. I love having him home with me, even if it is a bit harder to be motivated when he is home, especially when he isn't working too.

We had stake conference this weekend, and ward conference next week. We have a new stake president, and I love hearing the new perspective and messages. Not that they've really changed--more that they are coming from different experiences and with a different way of sharing. It was also regional  conference, so we had a broadcast from Salt Lake, and the talk that really stood out to me was self discipline. So many great quotes, and principles in that talk. I wish I could get a copy of it written down.

Anyway that was our week. Hope you have a great one!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Happy Birthday!
Love,
Mom
PS What is the name of the poem?

Mim said...

The name is The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot

Suz said...

Now I want to read the poem! Oh Mirs, you have a way with words. I love ya' girlie. Enjoy that free time with your hubby. :)

Julie said...

I LOVE that poem too. There was a time when I had it memorized but I think that part of my brain is now full of Curious George plot lines or something... In the room the women come and go talking of Michaelangelo.