Sunday, March 9, 2014

No More Winter! Where the Heck Is Spring?

We missed another day of school to an ice storm. It didn't do much here, but I think they made the right call with no school on Tuesday. The kids are loving it, but I don't know how they'll feel when they are going to school in the middle of June, which is the solution to save Spring Break.

It's March, it's time for warm weather, flowers to grow and spring time. It's time to start wearing shorts, and to enjoy days of seventy degree weather that are absolutely perfect. It is time to embrace happiness and sunshine and even rainbows. Spring, it's time to bring it!

Rob went with the kids to visit his parents over the weekend. I got a house of quiet to myself. Every now and then I need that. The quiet, but also the not being responsible for everything else. I enjoy not cooking and not cleaning and not bathing the kids sometimes. I love my kids. They are great kids so kind and sweet and overall good natured.

I needed to brace myself for the week that Rob is going to be gone and I'll be flying solo. I'm not that great at that. I know I'll be a little crazy by end of the week when he comes back. I don't think I could handle it if he had to travel for work all of the time. Rob is going to be working on getting his Woodbadge, which is the equivalent of Eagle for scout leaders. It means he'll be gone camping for a week, and I'll basically be a single parent for that time.

This week I turn 36. Uggh! When did I get old, not that I'm really all that old. It's more like I look at my life and where I am, and where I thought I'd be at this age and I sigh. Still so much I want to accomplish and do. But then I look at what I have accomplished, and it does help to balance things out a bit.

We sang "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go Dear Lord" in sacrament meeting today, and it always makes me think. I love this song and I have since I first heard it. It's funny how different lines jump out at me at different times in my life. Today the thoughts were focused on the fact that I can serve Him from where I am. I don't have to be responded to a huge call from a mountaintop or on a mission (like that's going to happen right now) or with a huge calling. It doesn't have to be in a visible way, but I can still serve Him and be His mouthpiece, and His hands and His heart for someone else out there. I can still be the person that He wants me to be.

Continuing on a spiritual note, I just taught a lesson about Grace, and it is such an interesting topic that I really hadn't spent a lot of time focusing on before. I've seen the Lord's hand in my life again and again, and today was the first time that I connected it with Grace. It is through His grace that we are helped and strengthened.

As a parent I've realized just how unique every child is. Truly unique. It's a wonderful thing to see how their personalities and strengths and weaknesses are different. Each of my children have their own set of challenges and their own set of awesomeness. I'm sure you feel the same way about your kids.

Have a great week!






1 comment:

Julie said...

I LOVE this post Miriam! I have always loved that hymn too, and every time I hear it I pause to think about where I am and what I am doing that our Heavenly Father would be happy about, or would see need for improvement. YOU are amazing. I hope you are having a wonderful birthday week. :)