Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Dragon Ate My Homework!

This week was rough as far as homework time went. Really, just one big battle after another. It's time to think about contracts, and consequences. Beth isn't going to know what hit her in the next few weeks. She has agreed to get up and read before school each day, and that will start tomorrow. And we will be doing homework as soon as she gets home from school. Friday morning I drove her to school so she'd have time to do an assignment she absolutely refused to do all week. It's not going to happen again, because I want Beth to have good study habits, and be successful, not always pushing things to the last minute.

This week I've got two parent teacher conferences, one for Caleb and one for Beth. It should be fun and exciting to see how they are both doing this year. I like talking to the teachers and getting a sense of what is important and how my kids are doing.

Caleb is very enthusiastic. He loves doing new things and he is just pleased as can be when he gets something new or tries something new. I love the fact that he is so positive most of the time.

Jacob has informed me that his best friend is a dragon. He is very tall and likes to lick Jacob. He makes Jacob very happy. The day after Jacob told me this I forgot and began telling him a story about a mean dragon. Jacob stopped me and told me that the dragon was his friend. So this guys is likely staying around for a while. If you talk to him be sure to ask him about his dragon.

That's about all for the week. It rained a lot. I mean a lot, and I hate rainy weeks. But most of this next week should be pleasant. Not too cold, and no rain. I hope you have a great one!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Jacob has an imaginary friend. that means he is realy smart. Tell Jacob to say to his dragon from Nana. Beth it is a constant battle with homework. Yes you were my ideal child. I do not think though you can let go of homework until after highschool sounds like you have a good plan. Use rewards as well as punishments. Daily rewards even talking to her Grandma's or a friend. Caleb is doing great he sounds very happy. Love to read about the family.
Love, Nana

Gail said...

I hate homework....it causes so much stress and unhappiness in the homes.I know its never going to go away though. Good luck. Karen is going through the same thing with Casey.Rewards work best.Sometimes he will jump right on it if the desire for the reward is there.Get that dragon movie (Pete's Dragon?) for Jacob. I bet he'd like it.Glad that Caleb takes pride in his accomplishments....there will be many. He's a smart boy!Looking forward to seeing you all soon.