Monday, November 30, 2009

The Holidays Are Fast Approaching

So I haven't posted in awhile. We had a good Thanksgiving week at Gail and Eldon's. The kids had lots and lots of fun. There were two different fires to play around, a lot of leaves to burn and general fun all around. We took the kids to the Science Center there, and they had some fun with their cousins Chloe and Casey. Dinner was great. The drive to Hickory took five hours. Truth be told it was awful. We got on the Interstate and it wasn't moving. Not to mention that we needed our brakes changed (thank you for fixing them Eldon). The brakes were so noisy every time that we stopped that I was dying of embarrassment. Not to mention the safety issue when it comes to stop and go traffic. After about forty five minutes we hit the Davis Drive exit. (This is seven miles from where we got on the Interstate), Rob had decided that this wasn't going to work. Neither of us are familiar with that particular portion of Cary/Apex, but I told him to get off and I'd find 64. So we got off and we made it. Rob thought that I was crazy and that we'd missed the road, but we found it. The drive home was much, much happier.

We have instituted a chore system around the house. This is a nightly chore system, which involves mopping, vacuuming, and wiping down the bathroom each night. It really is great. The kids are super involved meaning that they actually do it. I don't know how long the novelty of using "the spray" will last, but right now I'm super excited and happy about it. We have a different spray for the bathrooms, kitchen and windows and each child wants to use it. Don't worry it is happening under close supervision, but it is nice to wake up to a super clean house.

December is tomorrow and the craziness is about to begin. We've got all our kids birthdays in the next two months, Christmas, and Beth's baptism. Plus out of town visitors and going out of town. Somehow or other we will survive. Usually we are done with present shopping by now and we haven't even started yet. The main problem is I don't know what to get the kids. I'm not in the mood to inundate them with more toys. Seriously after the great toy take away of September and October I'm not in a place where I want to provide fuel for another hostile takeover. We will see what we come up with.

Also we have been t.v. free today, and are hoping to go t.v. free for most of December. I'll let you know how long it lasts.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Julie said...

So Glad that Eldon fixed the brakes he is so hadny and such a good Paps. Glad you all had a Happy Thanksgiving. I have a great suggestion for presents for the kids. Get them Lessons. Yes you may say but we can't afford to contiue with them. Will try I know they want gymnastics but maybe something like that with the community. Honestly toys are a mess and I think they will look back with fond memories to some kind of lessons be it gymnastics karate dance or photgraphey. That is what they need. Look at your budget I think you can do it.
Love you guys, Nana