Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Past Eight Years

I can't believe that Beth is turning eight this week. Quite frankly it blows my mind. Our lives sure changed when we had her, and in a good way. The day we brought her home from the hospital there were carolers right outside our door. I've really enjoyed all that Beth has brought to my life. She had her birthday party yesterday. It was a Harry Potter party that got a little bit crazy, but we managed to pull everything off. I'm just relieved that it is over. She also had her baptism interview. She's very excited to be getting baptized and I'm very proud of her. She is a good girl.

Caleb has been one for messes lately. I don't know exactly why, but he woke me up by asking me if I wanted to see his tattoos. He had drawn on himself (with some help from Beth) all up his arms and across his belly. The primary president told me today that he was sitting there in Sharing Time and pulled up his shirt for a second and everybody in Primary got to see his beautiful artwork. Caleb also gave the closing prayer in Primary, and I must say he did a totally awesome job, and only needed on nudge from Rob to finish the prayer.

Jacob has matching tattoos. He also slept through most of church today. And then came home with lots and lots and lots of energy. He is growing up and some of his words are just so clear. I mean you can really understand them. At tithing settlement today (which is another nightmare of a story you don't need to hear about -oh the horror- the bishop was very understanding and cut the meeting short) Jacob was walking around with his hands in front of him and moaning--"Brains, Brains, Brains." Yes my two year old knows what a zombie is and what a zombie eats. This is mainly due to the song "Re: Your Brains" by Jonathan Coulton. We are actually big Jonathan Coulton fans.



On a side note, I had a lovely conversation with my sister Ruthann, and mentioned Glee to her. My sister was in Madrigals in high school, which is the equivalent of Glee. And she hadn't seen the show at all, and she hadn't heard of it. Well only the last five episodes are up, and you really need to watch from episode one since the entire show builds on the preceding episode. But they come out on DVD just after Christmas. So you can buy it if you think you will like it. I'm going to embed one of my favorite musical numbers so you can watch and see, but there is lots of cool stuff on that show.

But as an aside, Ruthann and I were talking about how atypical our high school experience was. Really I don't think we went to a normal high school. I always thought it was because it was so big. My graduating class was over 600. But my sophomore year the principal told us that we had more than 900 kids there. The high school was split my senior year and I know that we had people drop out. The thing is that the Madrigals weren't on the bottom of the social pyramid. It was pretty much live and let live unless you were a goth. I was friends with some goths and they had crazy stories of getting beat up, but other than that I think it was pretty peaceful. Maybe I was in my own little bubble, but I was definitely happy there. My point is that it was okay to be what you wanted at school for the most part. I'm sure there were exceptions, but I wasn't really aware of them. I wasn't popular, but I wasn't an outcast either. Nicely in the middle of the road.

Well here's the clip. Hope you all enjoy. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Gail said...

We are so proud of Beth. Enjoyed her crazy little Harry Potter party. The kids all had a blast!
Caleb is so creative...its a shame it had to be on his arms and belly and that Jacob had to be involved in it too.
Love all you guys!