Monday, January 27, 2014

Study Hall, Juggling and Managing Three Busy Kids

True confession time: My kids are night owls, and I struggle to get them in bed by 10:00 every night. Caleb hates homework and fights me on it consistently. Jacob has the attitude of just getting it over with and will rush through, and Beth is a procrastinator. She likes to start her homework around 8:30 or 9:00.

Since the boys get to sleep in until 8:00, I'm not overly worried about their bedtime. They still average about ten hours of sleep at night, which is adequate. Beth is getting up at 6:30, so she's pushing the getting enough sleep thing. I am not going to lie, I dread early morning seminary. I am not a morning person.

So in an attempt to deal with the homework fuss, and possibly bedtime, we are establishing a study hall. For at least an hour, it will be time to do homework or read. no TV, no video games, no nothing else distracting. I will report back on our success and (I'm sure) failures as we try this out.

We may have some snow this week, and the kids are super excited. I'm not going to lie, I'm excited too. I'm hoping that it's enough for them to build a real snowman instead of the furry blob that was a result of the snow in the middle of last week, which only warranted a two hour delay. I may update this post with a picture of it. Beth took it, and she will have to email it to me.

The birthdays went well. Jacob celebrated with chocolate cupcakes, orange chicken and loved his new bike. Caleb celebrated with oreo ice cream cake, Taco Bell and loved his new bike. The boys are both growing up so fast. It blows me away with what they can do, and how much fun they are having along the way.

Hope you enjoy the week--and that we get snow!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Study hall sounds like a good plan. So far, my kids don't have that much homework, but I know it will get worse each year. :)

Mim said...

It does get worse each year. Except the fifth grade teachers were so focused on prepping Beth for middle school --i was terrified. We went from at least two hours a night to about an hour a night for her. I think she does a lot at school. I've heard next year will be worse for her too.