Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Day of Words

Today we went to an Easter egg hunt at the Mordechai house. It was fun. Caleb did not have such a great time, since he currently has a fear (big, big fear) of anything dressed in a costume. He won't go within twenty feet of one. Obviously there was someone dressed up in a bunny costume. Unfortunately there was also some in a duck costume. So we were on constant watch. It was time to go and Caleb wasn't ready. I told Caleb we had to go and part of it was because he hadn't had much fun since he was scared of the bunny.

Caleb--I wasn't scared Mom.

Me--Okay

Caleb--No Mom, I'm allergic. I'm allergic to people in bunny costumes, and duck costumes. That's why I can't be around them.

Me--so you're not afraid?

Caleb--no I'm allergic.


Caleb has an "allergy" to dogs, kittens, bunny costumes, but not real bunnies, and a whole myriad of other things.


Jacob has begun speaking a lot more and using words that are relevant to the situation. Today Beth was hurt and bleeding. He marched into where I was and said "Bind ide." and shook his hand at me. "Boo boo."

I looked at him for a minute--"Band aid? Jacob.

Nodding his head "Bind ide." Then he walks to the closet, and points up "Bind ide high up"

"The band aid's up high?" I asked. I got the band aids out and gave one for him to give to Beth. And then because at our house if one person needs a band aid, everyone gets a band aid. I got one out for him.

"Where are you going to put the band aid?" I asked expecting him to point.

"Arm, Arm" Jacob said.

Wow! What a day--I'm so proud of him. He used three different words I'd never heard him used before in the right context for just this one little thing. The vowel sounds may be a little off, but that is to be expected. I'm just so thrilled and excited. I am also grateful that I have the opportunity to see the blessings of the little steps making a big difference.

Ciao!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Jacob!! And he was so sweet and thoughtful to go get one for Beth too :)

Parker is sometimes "allergic" to any dinner that he doesn't want to eat :)

Anonymous said...

Jacob to the rescue. Caleb you can be allergic to wried people in oonstumes

Gail said...

So funny....I can just hear Caleb now.Man, he'll be allergic the whole time at Disney World with all the costumed critters there! I'm so proud of Jacob.

Julie said...

That's awesome Mim!
"bind ide" sounds southern. ;)
Blame Rob. hee hee