Saturday, October 24, 2009

Celebrating Ten Years

So I probably mentioned a few months ago that Rob and I have been married for ten whole years! Whew! It's been great. We wanted to get away as a couple, but since Rob wanted to do an amusement park trip and I didn't want to go in the summer, we pushed it back for the fall. It was a lot of fun.

We went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It's about three hours from us and we both had a great time. First it was nice to not have to worry about the kids the entire time, especially when it got dark and it would have been hard to see the kids. Second it was just plain fun.

Rob happens to think that I'm a wuss about many things. (Bugs, hiking, swimming or touching untreated water, heights, dogs, and the list could go on.) And he told me that when he heard me talk about loving roller coasters and amusement park rides that he thought I was exaggerating my love and sense of adventure. (I think he also forgets that one of my favorite places is Yellowstone.)

Never mind the fact that we went to Lagoon together when we were dating, and again just after we were married. (Granted the rides there weren't all that intimidating--since I haven't been in nine years I can't claim to know how they are now.) But when we went to Universal Studios in Florida about six years ago, he was pleasantly surprised to see me scampering about the park, dragging him quickly from ride to ride.

So he knew that this trip would be fun for us. (The above spiel came as a result of a comment he made yesterday.) And it was. I had a lot of fun. He had a lot of fun. There were four fun coasters--although I only rode Apollo's Chariot once. It was just too tall for me, (although it was only a few feet taller than Griffin which I rode more than once). But seriously the whole way up I kept wondering what would happen if the coaster got stuck. I was looking at the stairs and they are the steel ones that you can see through at the bottom. And I knew there was no way, absolutely none that I could actually physically walk down those stairs to the bottom. Just wouldn't happen. So although the ride was fun with killer hills, I couldn't do it again.

It was the Howl o Scream or some other such thing with Haunted Houses and such. And we went to a total of one Haunted House, out of the seven. Rob does not like haunted houses, which I find quite amusing since he loves creating them, and learning about ghosts and writing creepy stories. And they had people popping out at us and following us around. But it brought back many middle school and high school memories and all of the friends I went to haunted houses with. Good times. Rob has now been to four haunted houses. I honestly don't know how many I've been to, but it's more than four (lots more).

Rob however bested me on the number of times he rode all of the coasters. He went on Apollos Chariot 4 times. He says it is his favorite of all time. Griffin 3 times, Loch Ness Monster 3 times and Alpengeist 3 Times. (Funnily Loch Ness is my age--that was kind of weird.) We were both sad that the Big Bad Wolf shut down last month for good. We looked at the track and thought it looked like fun.

We want to take the kids next year. We also briefly drove through Williamsburg, just to say that we had. We want to go spend time there, but it is the type of place that I wouldn't want to just stop at for a few minutes. So we didn't get out. Excitedly enough when Beth saw the brochure, she wanted to go visit, so that would be part of the trip too.

The kids take after Rob and devoured all the silly brochures he likes to bring home so that I can clean around them for three months before I finally throw them away. The kids love Maps, love them! They make their own maps on a regular basis and Jacob can even say maps, and identifies them anytime he see them by saying map!

Anyway we had a great time, and the kids had a lot of fun with Eldon and Gail. (Thanks for babysitting!)

6 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds like a fun trip! :) You guys are too funny together. Happy 10th!

Cecily said...

What a fun getaway! Busch Gardens is the only amusement park I've been to on the east coast, but it was a LOT better than Lagoon.

I tried to catch you after church today, but you were too quick! I'm going to try to get to the playground tomorrow (before Summer turns everything in our apartment into a slide), so maybe I'll see you there.

Unknown said...

Happy 10th!!! We're right behind ya! Hard to believe sometimes isn't it?

Busch Gardens sounds awesome. I can't believe I have never been there. I love roller coasters too! Putting it on the to do list :) Glad you guys had such a great time.

Julie said...

Glad to here you had fun. So thankful to Gail and Eldon for watching the kids.

Rich said...

Busch Gardens is amazing!

!!I can't believe I'll never be able to ride the Big Bad Wolf again!! They should have made a massive advertising drive for that, I would have definitely made time to go up and ride it one last time.

Is the Grizzly still open?

Congrats on 10 guys! Erika and I in December. :)

Gail said...

So glad yall had such a good time.I'm looking forward to all of us going sometime....maybe in Tampa too. Its great! Loved watching the little ones. They are all so special in their own way.