Sunday, January 31, 2010

Long, long weekend!

If you've read Rob's post (see below) you'll know that we got snow! This was awesome. It happened on a weekend so no pressure to go anywhere. It started snowing early enough that the kids got excited and ran around for a bit before they went to bed on Friday. And then it has stayed cold so it hasn't melted. But it's been a long weekend!

First the kids woke up at six and we went out and played in the snow. (Rob stayed in bed or you'd have pictures of the kids playing in the dark in the snow.) Fortunately they got cold and came in after twenty minutes. I was too tired to do anything but stand on the porch. Then we had sweet rolls and hot chocolate for breakfast! Yum!

Then the kids went out again at 10:30 or so. Rob was supposed to go out with them, but he ended up calling a whole bunch of people telling them that church was cancelled. Whew! So out I went again. This time I chased kids and had lots of snowballs thrown at me. The kids had lots of fun.

Then they came in and totally trashed the house. Every room was awfully messy. Difficult to see the floor. All that kind of fun.
Then they went back out with Rob for a bit in the afternoon. Only Caleb came back in because he heard a dog bark.

They went out again today, but Caleb cut it short because he slipped on the ice. Rob, Beth and Jacob walked over to the park and played on the slide and swung and had fun. Caleb and I watched Mythbusters.

Today I managed to clean the house. Right now it is clean, but I've got a mammoth pile of laundry to do. Huge!

I stocked up on food for this weekend in the event that we lost power, since they were calling for so much sleet. And I remember the great ice storm of 2002. That was not fun. Rob requested that I get a can of SPAM and so I did. (He's the only one who'll eat any of it.) I mentioned that I missed Turkey SPAM. (Sad but true I liked that stuff.) This conversation followed:

Rob: If I had some Turkey SPAM. I'd get some cranberry sauce, and some gouda cheese and make me a sandwich.

Me: But if you spent the money on gouda cheese (which is oh so yummy) Why in the heck would you put it on SPAM?

The thing is that Rob's spam sandwiches are quite complicated. It involves frying the spam, melting cheese on top, frying an egg and then eating the sandwich.

We've had a fun weekend, though we are going a bit stir crazy--with at least one more day of family togetherness since school and Rob's work are both closed down tomorrow.

Have a great week everyone! And try a SPAMwich!

5 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!

Unknown said...

I will pass on the spamwhich - hehe! Our house got trashed too but I did NOT manage to get it cleaned up yet ;) Tomorrow is another day.

Julie said...

There is not even a small chance that I'm eating a SPAMich!

But, yum for gouda. :) I'm afraid our kids have developed expensive (but not so much here) cheese tastes that we will not be able to support when we return to the states!

Gail said...

This is our first snow without playing with the grandkids. The roads were too bad to go down to Karens.I miss the fun but not the mess. I'm ready to get OUT of this house!Glad the kids have had so much fun.

Rob said...

Honestly, I don't like Spam all that much, and I know it's terrible for you. But it brings back memories of cooking it on campouts and being manly and stuff like that. Not to mention ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6N5m8FpVg