Sunday, February 28, 2010

Thoughts on Schools

Well, after a month of moving, purging and cleaning we are out of our old place. It was one of those places that was truly awful. It sucked the life out of me and I'm so very glad to be gone. Everything is going along swimmingly for the kids. No major funnies to share this week, and no major bad things either.

I am looking forward to getting back on schedule and getting the kids back on schedule as well. They were great when we were doing last minute things and Caleb took it upon himself to properly organize our food storage--and he did a great job. He was super proud of himself. Beth has been a good big sister leading her brothers in games and in a Chinese dragon dance that involved a blanket, lots of falling and giggles. Jacob is just Jacob. During Sacrament meeting, he just kept giving me kisses and saying I love you. You can't go wrong when your son is so happy.

There is a whole hotbed of debate right now because the school board went through a shift during the last elections. They are pushing for neighborhood schools instead of the bussing and shifting around. It's been interesting to talk to people about it. I get both sides of the argument. Parents are frustrated because their kids have been in three different schools in as many years. It is hard when your child is bussed away when you can walk to three different elementary schools. I'm for neighborhood schools, but I don't think they should do away with the magnet programs.

The thing is that Beth is in a magnet school, and I've seen all the extra help that the magnet students and their parents give to the classrooms by volunteering and donation wise. Beth's school is next to a housing project, and I know without the magnet status it would only be low income students that attend. And a lot of those kids are really struggling academically. Beth's in a great school, and I can't wait for Caleb to go next year. I just hope that the program sticks around until all my kids have gone through it. The school offers a lot more than most other schools, and really it could be implemented district wide without a lot of extra money. Rob and I thought a lot about whether or not the magnet programs were right for our family before we applied. The extra long bus ride was one thing we thought about. Usually Beth is home in about thirty minutes, which is the same as some other students who aren't in magnet programs, and as quick as picking her up would be. But the payoffs have been worth it. She is in a very diverse school and that makes me extremely happy. She is being exposed to a variety of cultures and learning so much.

Anyway I had to share my little rant, because I'm getting frustrated with all the people who want the magnet programs gone. I just don't agree, though I do support neighborhood schools as long as the magnets stay in place. I really think I'd feel the same way even if my kids weren't in the program. I can't stand behind something that is going to set up inner city schools to fail and as far as I can tell magnets are a voluntary way to address that problem.

Have a Great Week!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Mim Look in the news at what is happening to Jordan School district they may have to do away with any extraciccural activites. I am so happy you kids are done with school. And the district doesn't affect Matt because spiecal ed is federally funded. Jordan School district will probably have to let 250 teachers go. Read KSL.com The kids sound like they are doing great. They were a great help to you Caleb and Beth. Way to go Caleb with the food storage.

Gail said...

I love reading your blog each week and catching up on the news. Even living this close we don't get to talk enough.I'm happy Beth is in a good school. Seams like all of the schools have problems right now.Give Caleb a high five from Grandma & Pap and Beth the same for entertaining the kids and give Jacob a hug and kiss for being so sweet from us,okay? Did yall get the old place all cleaned up to get your deposit back?

Cecily said...

I'm so glad that you're out of the place that you hated and into the place that you're happy with. I can only imagine how nice it feels!

I think it's funny that Jacob is as charming as he looks. I can't believe Caleb's five!