Sunday, April 29, 2012

May Is Almost Here or Countdown to the End of the School Year

I don't know if we are just getting to the end of the year, or what, but I ended up driving the kids to school four times this week. Four times! Yikes. I don't like doing it. They are on the bus for about the same amount of time that it takes me to drive them there, and then jacob is stuck in the car afterwards on the way home.

Still overall we had a fairly good week. The kids made a deal with me, and they have clear expectations of bedtime rules, and of morning rules. They were meeting most of their morning rules. The contract went into place because of late mornings. And bedtime is getting bit better each day. (Knock on wood, because I said that we will be in for a massive bedtime battle today.)

Getting homework done each night has been a lot better, especially for Miss Beth who is a night owl like her dad. She likes to start her homework at 9:00 or 9:30.  Rob and I always talk about how there are two types of people: morning people or night people. And the two will never understand each other. Before I met and married Rob you could put me in the morning people category. I had early classes in college, and generally I was in bed by no later than ten most nights, except the weekends. I liked it that way. My sister Ruthann was more of a night owl growing up, and I never understood her.

When Rob got married, I convinced him to sign up for an early class, in the hopes that he'd get up with me in the mornings, before I had to leave at 6:45. It didn't happen, and he almost failed the class, because he seldom made it. I learned that you can't change someone else, only yourself. Now I'm a night person. I stay up fairly late anyway, and I enjoy the quiet that night time brings. Rob sometimes wants me to go to bed earlier, since he does have days that he has to leave at 6:45. The tables have changed!

Our kids are all doing well. Jacob had a little trip to urgent care this week to have an object removed from his knee. He tripped outside on the pavement, and it's the worst scraped knee I've ever seen. The skin was all crinkled up and it looked like some kind of twig was in it. Once we got the bleeding stopped (there was a lot of blood, running down his leg, and spurting out for a little bit), we were at a loos with what to do with his leg. rob decided to remove the dead skin. I thought he needed stitches and then he had this shiny black piece of rock stuck in his leg. We couldn't get it out. So Rob carted him off to urgent care where they x-rayed it. (I think to see how deep the foreign object was embedded in the knee.) And then they gave him four shots and Rob said it broke his heart (to which I thought, it's about time you get to feel like what is like to hold a screaming child down to get blood drawn or to get a shot--My boys have had so much blood drawn over their life time, that they have given more than I had to through my three pregnancies. It's no fun to be there holding them while they are scared and angry. But Rob handled it like a champ, and so did Jacob.) They removed it and sent him home.

The kids are loving their bike rides, and we've been going for walks almost every day this week in the evening . The weather is great right now, not too hot to go out yet. This has been a nice few weeks. It has already gotten up in the high eighties this year, so the low seventies feels like heaven. They are already asking to swim and counting down to the end of the year.

Also you can check out news about my publishing journey for Dreaming Isis on this blog. Have a great week!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Way to go with the book. Glad the rock got out Jacob.

Gail said...

Great news about the book Mim. Thats one that I will buy!Will it be available for Kindle?
I tried to comment on your writers blog and couldn't get it to work.