Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Knock on the Door at 2:00 am

This week has been an interesting one. Beth was out of school on both Monday and Tuesday. It was nice to have her home, but the weather was miserably cold and wet. Tuesday it drizzled cold rain all days, and the kids were more than a little restless. Nonetheless, we made it to the polls, and voted. It was great--I dreaded standing in line, but the early voting seemed to pay off in my area, because I didn't wait in line one minute. Not even a second. I just walked right in and voted.

Rob went to a film festival in Asheville this weekend. Greg had a film in it. Since Hickory was on his way, he took Caleb and Beth to play with their cousins. They had a lot of fun--fires, fish, and gymnastics kind of fun. Jacob stayed home with me, since he ran a fever most of the week. I think it might have been roseola, since he now has a rash that looks like roseola. But he's finally laughing and playing.

Back to Rob being gone--you all know how I am and that I freak myself out way too easily. So I locked the doors to the house, and the door to my room, and settle in to go to sleep the first night. I brought Jacob in the bed with me, since I freak myself out. He was still a bit sick and so he would wake up every so often and need to be soothed back to sleep. Well at 2:00 am I hear this sharp rapping on my bedroom door. I screamed, cause no one was home with me. Then I quickly reached over to make sure Jacob was okay, and he wasn't there. As I sat up and frantically put on my glasses, I realize that Jacob is the one standing at the door and knocking. Seriously it took me about thirty minutes to calm down and go back to sleep.

This week should be an easy one. The kids' extracurricular activities are cancelled and Beth will be home from school on Tuesday. It should be a fun week.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, that would have freaked me out too!! I am like that too when Greg is out of town. Sometimes I crawl in with Parker. Glad the kids had fun in Hickory and thanks for letting Rob come to the festival!

P.S. I didn't know that your and Rob's song was an exciting spanish number!! hehehe You'll have to ask him about that one.

Taliatha said...

You do have a ghost in your apartment don't you? I think I remember you telling me something about that.

I heard that North Carolina and Georgia had the highest percentage for voter turnout, so you're lucky you didn't have to wait.

I went to vote at the time when I thought there would be the fewest people at the precinct, but I forgot we live in Old Folksville and I guess all of them were up and out at 10 am just like me. Oh well! My precinct is at the local Nature Center so the kids kept plenty busy while I was in line.