Friday, September 11, 2009

A Day I'll Never Forget

Except that I sort of did. I woke up this morning without realizing the significance of today. As a child I remember people talking about how specific events stood out in their memories. They always remembered the day that Kennedy was shot or when the wall came down (I was alive, but a very oblivious child).

But I will never forget working and listening to the morning radio show as we got ready to open the doors. It was Bob and Sheri and they loved to pull jokes. So when they first said a plane had flown into the towers. I didn't think it was real. But then they said, no this isn't a joke it's real. One of them ran and got a television set, and started describing it.

Immediately my coworker and I want to verify it. So we go to CNN and it's down. That in and of itself was verification.

All we could do was listen to their description and account as the second plane flew into the tower. That's when I realized it wasn't an accident. I knew things were changing. My coworkers and I listened to the radio accounts all day and I raced home at lunch to watch it on the television.

Things have changed. I was so scared at first. I was pregnant with my first and wondered what I was bringing her into.

The thing I've realized since then is that we don't have to retaliate with hate, and we don't have to retaliate with fear. I am still so sad when I think of all those people who died, and the families and friends who lost those that they loved. I'm saddened to think that the world isn't quite as carefree as it once was.

But I also get hope from the brave men and women who worked to rescue those people in the buildings and the people on United Airlines Flight 93 who fought back.

Here's to remembering.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Mom was up from Florida visiting that day and we were getting ready to go hunting for genealogy info and caught it on the TV as it happened. We just sat in front of the TV all day instead and cried for all those people.