Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Kid's First Concert

Yesterday Rob and I took the kids to the They Might Be Giants concert. This was the kid show and it was an outside lawn concert. The kids had a lot of fun. It was neat to see so many parents with their kids dancing and singing along to the music. Sadly for us grownups the only non-kid song they played was Constantinople. Rob and I had gone to their last concert when they came two years ago. We had great seats, eighth row and it was tons of fun. Well everyone was relaxed and it was open seating, so Rob took Beth and Caleb upfront and they were five feet from the band. They had this little dance area for the kids and it was right in front of the stage. Wow! What a concert. The show only lasted about an hour, but everyone still had fun.

This week has been about the same as always. It was Stake Conference, which actually went better than I hoped. That's always nice. The talks were good and that was happy. This next week is super busy for me. I'm going to a writer's conference and doing other stuff. Rob is going to be with the kids all week long. (I'm not going out of town, just gone a lot of evenings.)

Beth starts homework tomorrow. But she seems excited about it. I wish I could feel the same way honestly. But I don't. She is very imaginative and when she's home she leads the boys in her games. Today Caleb was the Dad and she was the kid. She kept changing her age. Dad, pretend I'm two, now I'm eight, now I'm a teenager so I can drive. Yup. Amazing at how quickly she can shift gears. Those lines were all said in about a five minute span.

Caleb is doing really well. He is adjusting to preschool very well. I think he likes the structure and the busy week. He does miss the park, so I'm going to squeeze in some trips on Tuesday or Thursday. I asked him if he wanted to still go to story time this year and he said yes. That is on Thursday. (Our library offers one on Wednesday and on Thursday. That makes it nice.) So we'll do that this week too.

Jacob has started to do lots of actions to songs. He can do The Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock, Once There Was a Snowman, Popcorn Popping and Itsy Bitsy Spider. He also throws in the occasional word or approximation of a word. So that is always happy. He's so smiley and happy all the time, but he is stubborn. Rob came down today and said that he didn't know what to do with Jacob, because he knows what he wants, he won't stop (timeouts don't work well yet) and he's too cute and he knows how to get away with things.

Rob seems to be happy. He's wrapping stuff up on a video project he's been doing forever. I think he'll find something to do after that is over as well.

Well that's our last week. Have a Good One.

PS No concert pictures as there was a high chance of rain.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Glad the kids had fun at the concert. I am sad no pictures to go with the concert but rain. Oh well. Have fun at the writers conference I do hope you meet an agent that really wants to look at the Book. I think The book is fun readable and it will sell. Oh am I your Mom. But Mary your sister loved your book and she is the audience you want to read it. Love you, Mom

Rob said...

Technically they played "Particle Man" and "Dr. Worm" which are both in their "adult song" collection, though I can see the confusion =)

Rob said...

By the way, I had my cameras with me, but they said there was no video or photography allowed, and although 90 percent of the people there still took photos AND video, I followed the rule =) Plus, I was afraid it might rain (which it didn't), so I left them in the car.

Taliatha said...

Sounds like so much fun!