Sunday, July 26, 2009

Swimming, Bronchitis and Other Fun Stuff

This week was good overall. Jacob didn't have speech therapy, because his therapist was on vacation. It made scheduling so much easier, but at the same time I know how much it is helping him. So we will be back to the same old schedule this week.

The kids finished up their last swimming lessons this week. Caleb didn't care for the second week of lessons, though he loved the first. Jacob took a few of his turns, and loved it. He's good in the water. He made it very clear that he wanted to swim. He can say swim quite clearly, and on fRiday when there weren't any lessons Jacob put on his big floating suit and wore it all day long. He really wanted to go. The kids are going to miss the pool. It really makes me think seriously about getting a pool membership somewhere. They were so happy this week swimming nearly every day.

Beth did an excellent job at her lessons. I'm reading her Harry Potter at night, and she loves it. In fact all of the kids go to better so much better when I read at night. I just might do the whole series. I'm still trying to decide. Caleb says he doesn't like Harry Potter, but he doesn't like anything associated with bedtime.

Caleb has had a cough since the Fourth of July. So I finally took him in this week. I had to trick him to get him in the car. And on the way to the doctor he said he'd go visit the frog doctor (that's his neurologist) because he was so tired. I think he chose that doctor because he has never had him poked or given him a shot. But when we got the doctor, he went up and went in. Although he was mad. He was quite relieved that there was no shot involved, and said that he'd go again. He really likes his medicine and you can tell that he feels much better.

(It sounds like Caleb goes to lots of doctors, but really he is healthy. He was going to a gastroenterologist, when he stopped growing, which I'm happy to say he started again. The neurologist was to check his tremors, which turned out to be familial tremors. I have them, my dad has them, and my grandpa had them, so it wasn't surprising. We even got to do some kind of study for Duke for them. Caleb's actually been really healthy lately, minus the bronchitis, which I am happy to say runs on Rob's side of the family not mine--since all of Caleb's growing and tremor issues come from my side.)

Jacob is just talking more and more each day. Right now he is going an Uh Huh phase. The intonation is so adorable, but I'm not savvy enough to record it. So you'll just have to take my word for it. He's getting better at repeating words, and uses multiple word phrases to ask for things. I'm very proud of him.

Rob's doing okay. He's working a lot this week. His normal job during the day and some freelance gigs at night. Seriously we won't see him this week. But the jobs he's picking up in the next week and half will be as much as he makes in a month. (That's just the freelance stuff) I wish the work were always this good, because Rob could think about freelancing completely instead.

Well I'm off to do some reading. My library book is due back tomorrow. I've got a couple hundred pages to go!

Happy Week to you all. This was a very rambly post.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should look into a swim membership. I am glad Caleb is feeling better. I really enjoyed talking to Jacob the last time I called he was repeating all the words I said. Tell the kids Hi!
Nana

Gail said...

Glad to hear Caleb is getting better. I was worried about that cough. Proud of Jacob and his talking AND for getting in the pool. He wouldn't go in here at Otts house.
Glad Rob's got extra freelance stuff but he'll get sick if he doesn't get some rest in-between. MAKE him eat Mim.You take care too. Love ya, Gail

Mim said...

Getting Rob to eat is a constant struggle. I think he is finally beginning to recognize that his bad moods are associated with low blood sugar. Sometimes it takes shoving food into his hands, with him yelling, but he always apologizes after he eats.

This week is tough though because he's not coming home in between. He'll probably eat out a lot. I'll send a lunch with him to work, and then he can grab dinner in between. I don't know what else to do though.

Rob said...

I love the fact that I sound like an eight-year old who won't eat his brussel sprouts =) I DO eat you know =)

Mim said...

Honey (pats you on the arm) of course you eat. It's just not your top priority. You've gotten better about it though. Truly you have. When you're busy you tend to skip or eat really poorly. Don't worry no one reads the comments.

Anonymous said...

Hey I read the comments all the time. You both need to eat better and make sure the kids dirnk. Love Nana